Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 17, 2011

My BME Experience

So far England has been nothing but good to me! London was amazing and I'm glad we're going back. I feel like there was a lot of unfinished business that's needs to be taken care of there before I leave. I think I can wait a little longer though. With plans to go to Scottland this weekend and talk about going to Ireland our next free weekend, along with the much anticipated trip to Liverpool sometime soon I think London can wait just a little bit. I no longer have a sense of time or know what day it is any more but that's ok that just means I'm having too much fun to notice or care.

While in London I had the wonderful opportunity to go to the British Musical Experience (BME). Those of you that know me very well will know that music is a huge part of my life. All the different sounds in the insruments and the tones of the voices, it's hard not to like a little bit of everything. I didn't really know what the BME was going to be so my level of curiosity was high before I even walked in. The BME was very interactive with a lot to look at and listen to. With displays of clothes and instruments from famous musicians throughout the decades it was easy to be amazed. It's hard for me to focus on just one thing to talk about because there was so much. It was sort of make your own tour which I thought was awesome I could go through each decade room and pick and choose the information I wanted to listen to and skip over those I didn't want to listen to. I found myself skimming through te selection screne finding Michael Jackson and already knowing his short facts, I even knew some Beatles ones.

It was interesting to me to see not only how the fashions changed throughout the decades but the instruments and how they, and their sounds, changed. I guess you instrument sort of becomes part of your style when you're a famous guitarist. Though I don't play guitar I love their sound and the designs that some stars have on them. I saw one splattered with paint, some with band logos on them with flames, and even half guitars. I found the half guitars interesting actually. I always wondered why a musician would pay so musch money for an instrument and then smash it to pieces, it never made sense to me. To see the damage and know the story behind it was pretty cool.

Being a '90's kid how could I not like the Spice Girls display? Honestly back then I never really listened to them. Being older I see things differently now, i have learned to appreciate music in more than one way besides like the sound. I was a '90's kid, it's the era I grew up in and the Spice Girls were apart of that era. Though I didn't listen to them every day, like I did Nsync, they are still a part of me and my era in a small twisted way. on display there was an out fit that each Girl wore along with their toy doll.

Another display I liked was a small display they had set up with a few pairs of Elton Johns glasses. Elton john is know for wearing some crazy cool glasses. They were covered in glitter and there was a pair even shapped like music notes which i thought was awesome. It was neat to see some of Sir Elton John's signature eyewear so up close.

Seeing as I'm taking a class on the Beatles I have to talk about their diplay. It was completely filled with Beatles paraphernalia from Beatlemania and contained a jacket (worn by Ringo if I remember correctly). It was actually one of the most filled displays, but let's be honest how couldn't it be they're the Beatles! It was actually one of my favorite displays. There was so mcuh paraphanalia like the toy drum, the lunch boxes, the albulm covers, and so much more. It's interesting to see just how big of an impact the Beatles were and how crazy people were about them. 

The experience was amazing. The interactive screens and  little tid bits of background information of the displays that we got to pick and choose from made the experience better. Though I didn't go into the dance room I thought that was pretty awesome as well. All in all I thought it was an awesome stop for us to make on out Study Abroad trip. It is definitely something I will remember forever.


Until Next Time!

Karly Mason

1 comment:

  1. Karly,

    I thought your blog was very interesting. I really enjoy hearing other peoples views of the BME because although we went to the exact same place, we all had different experiences. I thought you did a good job of bringing your experiences into each paragraph that you talked about. My only suggestion is that you could have made just one trend instead of having individual sections that are about different topics. It might flow and go along with the assignment better. I found everything to be well written and I didn't get tired of reading it once! I'm glad it was as good of an experience for you as it was for me :)

    ReplyDelete